I lost almost 6 pounds on my modified South beach diet
I have been so desperate to lose weight quickly since I gave birth to my daughter 4 months ago. It hasn’t been easy but so far, I’ve lost about 10 kg (22 pounds) and a few of my old clothes are fitting me a little now. I was 70 kg before I became pregnant for my daughter and I weigh 74.5 kg now! This means that if I can lose another 4.5 kg, I’ll be back to where I was before I became pregnant. However, I have decided not to stop here: my target weight is 64 kg! This is approximately what I weighed on my wedding day! Yeah, I know it sounds incredulous but I want to do it and I believe I can if I put my heart to it. This will give me a healthy BMI of about 21.4. (The normal BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9).
Anyway, that brings me to the South Beach diet. I first came across this book years ago when I was in medical school but I didn’t really take it seriously because I wasn’t looking to losing weight. A little while ago, I was chatting with my friend who is currently on the Halleluyah diet and I knew that was not for me. I decided to search out a diet system that would be safe enough for lactating mothers to do. That’s when I stumbled on the South Beach diet.
This diet system was created by a cardiologist called Dr Agatston. On first glance, it’s similar to the Atkins protein diet but in reality it isn’t. In this diet system, you have to eat 5 times a day: your normal 3 meals and 2 snacks in between.It’s made up of 3 phases:
- In phase 1, all carbohydrates are avoided for 2 weeks. Fruits, some types of poultry and beef are also avoided completely. There is a whole list of foods to avoid. and some that are encouraged. Beans, fish, lamb, vegetables, turkey ham, low fat cheese, etc are encouraged.
- In phase 2, healthy carbohydrates are reintroduced. Bananas, plantains,potatoes etc are also avoided. You’re allowed oat meal, sweet potatoes, whole grains, etc. Many other foods are also allowed. You continue in this phase till you reach your target weight.
- In phase 3, you can pretty much eat anything you want to in moderate quantities.
- cereal with skimmed milk
- salad with ranch dressing or french dressing
- goat meat (mutton)
- Green tea
- Protein shake
- Baked beans (actually not allowed but I ate it anyway!)
- Chicken sausages (also not allowed but I wasn’t too strict in following the diet!)
- Lettuce wrap with sausages and stewed veggies. (Really yummy!)
- Moin-moin (Beans cake)
What I ate during my 1st cycle on the 17-day diet
When I first started this diet, I tried out different foods. First,Read More
Food journal: an important part of any weight loss program
When I started my weight loss program a few days ago, IRead More