How I incorporate the ‘Greenhouse Effect’ into my regimen
In my last hair update post, I talked about how I used the Greenhouse Effect to get 3 inches of growth in 3 months. [Normal hair growth is 1/2 inch monthly]. Someone recently left this comment on my blog: “I was just wondering how you combine the GHE with your regimen, since it requires that you use all natural products and don’t apply any oil on your scalp. I’m a bit confused about it.”
She’s pretty right to be confused about it because I haven’t explained what the Greenhouse Effect is and how I incorporate it into my regimen. It’s not the same as baggying: baggying is simply wearing a shower cap on your hair (you can moisturize before wearing the shower cap). You seal your hair with oil AFTER you take off the shower cap.
The Real Queens Regimen (gotten directly from the Real Queens Website) recommends that you
- Prepoo and shampoo once a month (or twice if necessary)
- Condition if you need/want to
- Try to only use 100% natural products in your hair
- Do the Green House Effect as often as you can
For the Green House Effect(GHE), you
- Apply 100% natural oil, oil blend, or butter of your choice to dry or damp hair
- prep your hair for the next day with braids/twists/bantus etc. or just do a ponytail or bun…it’s up to you
- Put on a shower cap/plastic bag and tie it down with a head tie (for extra heat you can wear a hat over that)
- Go to sleep or leave it on for a long period of time
- In the morning just style your hair as usual (if doing a set for best results let it air dry before you take out your braids/twists/bantus).
In addition, Meeka doesn’t recommend applying your scalp.
To be honest, I don’t do everything this regimen recommends: I just pick the ones that FIT INTO my own regimen: “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it“. If your regimen works for you, just find a way to add it in. I do wash my hair weekly and truthfully, it’s a bit stressful mixing up natural conditioners: it’s way easier to just use my regular products. This means that I HAVE to wash my hair weekly to prevent product build-up. So, how do I incorporate this regimen into my hair?
- I use ONLY Sulfate-free shampoos weekly and clarify once a month.
- I apply ONLY natural oils to my hair: you’ll NEVER find mineral oil or petrolatum in any of my products.
- On Friday nights, I moisturize my hair lightly then follow up by applying my pre-poo oil mix (shea butter, hempseed and coconut oil) to my entire hair. I base my scalp with Lavender Jamaican black castor oil. I cover my hair with my shower cap, then my sleep bonnet and go to bed. The following morning, I wash my hair. Then I deep condition, etc
The reason why I always wash out or rinse my hair afterward is because I use a high amount of oil and leaving it in will make my hair too weighed down. If you use only a small amount, you might not need to wash out. It’s up to you. So, try incorporating some or even all of the Real Queens Regimen and Greenhouse Effect into your regimen and your hair will love you for it. Till next time,…
Winter Beauty Tips
Winter is now only less than a mere three weeks away. With the season, comesRead More
Christmas Essentials to Put On Your Holiday Shopping List
You don’t have much time to shop for Christmas this year. No, we mean itRead More