Back to the Basics: ‘Safely’ using chemical relaxers
The week after relaxing
- Wash your hair. If you used a guanidine/calcium relaxer, you should use a chelating shampoo. [For examples of chelating shampoos, read the previous chapter].
- Use a mild to moderate protein conditioner. You might skip this step if you did a protein treatment.
- Condition with a moisturizing deep conditioner.
- Style as usual
- If you want to intentionally under-process (‘texlax’) your hair, it should be the same person and same technique employed every time so that similar results are achieved. Otherwise, your hair will have different textures along the hair strand. This can contribute to breakage if extra caution is not taken.
- Some people complain that no matter what they do, their hair never relaxes straight. If this is you, you probably have coarse-textured hair. To encourage your hair processing better, clarify your hair 4 days to a week before relaxer day. Use a relaxer with Super Strength. Smoothen the hair as much as possible
- If your hair ‘reverts’ after relaxing, it was properly under processed in the first place. Follow the above suggestions.
- Hair colour may change from black to brown after relaxing. This occurs because the cortex (which determines hair colour) has been disturbed. You can use natural hair coloring e.g. indigo and amla oil to darken it.
I. Moderate to Heavy Protein Conditioners to use a week before relaxing hair
– Aphogee 2-step protein treatment,
– Nature’s Gentle touch cholesterol conditioner
– Organic Root Stimulator Mayonnaise
– Nature Vitale Olive Oil Hair Mayonnaise
– Joico K-PAK Deep-Penetrating Reconstructor
– Motions Protein Reconstructor
– Motions at home Deep Penetrating Conditioner
II. Mild to moderate proteins for the mid-relaxer protein treatment
– Profectiv Mega Growth Anti-breakage Strengthener
– Aphogee 2 minute Reconstructor,
– Brazilian Tech Deep Penetrating Conditioner
– Kerapro Restorative Intensive Treatment for dry to very dry hair
– Ion Keratin Smoothing Masque
– GVP Moisturizing Conditioner
– One ‘n Only Argan Oil Restorative Mask
– Silk Elements MegaSilk Intense Conditioning Mayonnaise
– Miracle 7 Keratin Deep Conditioner.
This is the last post in the Back to the Basics series! Take care!
Winter Beauty Tips
Winter is now only less than a mere three weeks away. With the season, comesRead More
Christmas Essentials to Put On Your Holiday Shopping List
You don’t have much time to shop for Christmas this year. No, we mean itRead More