When I wrote the Back to the Basics Recap, I promised to start doing wash day posts. This is the first of many!! Yay!
I intend to get a relaxer touch-up on Monday (25th June) so I knew I had to prepare my hair for that. If you’re not sure how to prepare for a relaxer, read Back to the Basics: ‘Safely’ using chemical relaxers.
- On Wednesday night (20th June) , I moisturized my hair with Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship Split-end Protector then applied some oils to my hair (a mix of Coconut oil, Avocado oil, Olive oil, Grapeseed Oil and Shea oil). I wore a shower cap and then used my heating cap for about an hour. Afterward, I put my sleeping bonnet on top of the shower cap and went to bed.
- In the morning, I washed my hair with Jason’s Natural Kids Only Extra Gentle Shampoo (belongs to my daughters!) followed by Ion Clarifying shampoo. My hair felt rough to touch but soft?
- I sectioned my hair into four, poured Aphogee 2-step protein treatment into a spray bottle, sprayed on each section and combed through gently. I don’t have a hair dryer so I used my hand dryer to dry it. I think it must have been only 80% dry before I proceeded to rinse it off. [Throughout this step, I was in a towel because it was dripping all over me!]
- I rinsed off the treatment gently and then rinsed with Green Tea. Afterward, I applied Roux Porosity Control Corrector & Conditioner for a minute and rinsed off.
- Next, I applied Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, wore my shower cap and used my heating cap for an hour. When I rinsed off, my hair felt very soft. [My hair hadn't felt that soft after using Kenra in a while : maybe the clarifying allowed it penetrate better!]
- I did a final rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar and my hair felt super soft and smooth.
- For my leave-ins, I used Bumble & Bumble Leave-in Conditioner mixed with Rose water. For my serum, I used AG Set it Straight. [I don't normally use these but I chose them because I wanted to use silicone-free or water-soluble silicone products during this wash day]. My hair that was previously feeling soft began to feel hard and tangled. Could it be the Bumble & Bumble leave-in or was the protein finally showing through. I didn’t wash in sections: could that be the cause? Or does my hair really like silicones?
- To detangle my hair, I used Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave-in Conditioner and air dried.
- Before I went to bed, I applied Jamaican Black Castor oil to my scalp.
- Fast forward to today (Friday), my new growth felt tangled so I had to detangle. I used Jane Carter Leave-in Conditioner to detangle, my diluted Bumble & Bumble leave-in conditioner to moisturize and Jamaican Black Castor Oil Hair Food to seal.
- I’m not very happy because my hair doesn’t feel as smooth as it normally does! Maybe it’s the Aphogee! Will I use it again? You bet! I want to make sure my hair is in tip-top condition before I relax it. However, I think I’m going back to my regular leave-ins next time!
Take care peeps!