WASH DAY 21st June 2012: Counting down to my relaxer touchup
When I wrote the Back to the Basics Recap, I promised to start doing wash day posts. This is the first of many!! Yay!
I intend to get a relaxer touch-up on Monday (25th June) so I knew I had to prepare my hair for that. If you’re not sure how to prepare for a relaxer, read Back to the Basics: ‘Safely’ using chemical relaxers.
- On Wednesday night (20th June) , I moisturized my hair with Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship Split-end Protector then applied some oils to my hair (a mix of Coconut oil, Avocado oil, Olive oil, Grapeseed Oil and Shea oil). I wore a shower cap and then used my heating cap for about an hour. Afterward, I put my sleeping bonnet on top of the shower cap and went to bed.
- In the morning, I washed my hair with Jason’s Natural Kids Only Extra Gentle Shampoo (belongs to my daughters!) followed by Ion Clarifying shampoo. My hair felt rough to touch but soft?
- I sectioned my hair into four, poured Aphogee 2-step protein treatment into a spray bottle, sprayed on each section and combed through gently. I don’t have a hair dryer so I used my hand dryer to dry it. I think it must have been only 80% dry before I proceeded to rinse it off. [Throughout this step, I was in a towel because it was dripping all over me!]
- I rinsed off the treatment gently and then rinsed with Green Tea. Afterward, I applied Roux Porosity Control Corrector & Conditioner for a minute and rinsed off.
- Next, I applied Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, wore my shower cap and used my heating cap for an hour. When I rinsed off, my hair felt very soft. [My hair hadn’t felt that soft after using Kenra in a while : maybe the clarifying allowed it penetrate better!]
- I did a final rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar and my hair felt super soft and smooth.
- For my leave-ins, I used Bumble & Bumble Leave-in Conditioner mixed with Rose water. For my serum, I used AG Set it Straight. [I don’t normally use these but I chose them because I wanted to use silicone-free or water-soluble silicone products during this wash day]. My hair that was previously feeling soft began to feel hard and tangled. Could it be the Bumble & Bumble leave-in or was the protein finally showing through. I didn’t wash in sections: could that be the cause? Or does my hair really like silicones?
- To detangle my hair, I used Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave-in Conditioner and air dried.
- Before I went to bed, I applied Jamaican Black Castor oil to my scalp.
- Fast forward to today (Friday), my new growth felt tangled so I had to detangle. I used Jane Carter Leave-in Conditioner to detangle, my diluted Bumble & Bumble leave-in conditioner to moisturize and Jamaican Black Castor Oil Hair Food to seal.
- I’m not very happy because my hair doesn’t feel as smooth as it normally does! Maybe it’s the Aphogee! Will I use it again? You bet! I want to make sure my hair is in tip-top condition before I relax it. However, I think I’m going back to my regular leave-ins next time!
Take care peeps!
Winter Beauty Tips
Winter is now only less than a mere three weeks away. With the season, comesRead More
Christmas Essentials to Put On Your Holiday Shopping List
You don’t have much time to shop for Christmas this year. No, we mean itRead More