Wash day: final seal with grapeseed oil!
My weekend wash day started on Friday night.
On Thursday and Friday, I had left my hair down and by the end of Friday, it was terribly dry..
- I divided my hair into 4 sections and then finger detangled each section gently with avocado oil between my fingers to help lubricate the strands.
- Afterward, I added some safflower oil to my hair and then braided each section.
- I put on a shower cap, wore my heating cap for about 30 minutes. Took off the heating cap and went to bed.
On Saturday morning, I washed my hair with Ion Swimmer’s Shampoo (without undoing the 4 braids I had done the previous night)
- With my hair still in 4 braids, I applied Joico Moisture Recovery Conditioner for dry hair (this is a light protein conditioner) to each braid. I put on a shower cap and then my heating cap. Left my heating cap on for about 30 minutes. Although the instructions on the conditioner bottle say 1 minute, I think that you need at least 15 minutes to get the complete benefit of deep conditioning.
- One of my readers had sent me an email about doing a hot oil treatment as a last step and I liked the idea of that. However, I was too lazy to rinse out the conditioner and then apply the oil. And then rinse out AGAIN! Instead of rinsing off the Joico Moisture Recovery Conditioner, I decided to just pour some grapeseed oil on my hair!
- I wore my shower cap and sat under my standing dryer for about 25 minutes on very high heat. I allowed my hair cool and then I re-moistened my hair a little. I undid the braids and I detangled my hair in the shower. Since this conditioner gives very good slip, I felt comfortable enough to detangle my hair with the 3-comb method. First with my a large tooth comb, then my Roll-Ka comb (I just got this after I read Ebony Princess talk about it on her blog) and lastly a medium tooth comb. Then I rinsed off the conditioner.
Leave-ins & Styling
- I applied 1 pump of Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth Split End Protector to my hair, twisted the ends and then pinned up my hair. I tied the front of my hair with a scarf and went about my day.
- This morning, I undid the twist but my hair was not 100% dry so i just pinned up my hair and went to church. This evening, it’s finally dry and this is how it looks:
How did your wash day go?
- Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth Split End Protector
- Ion Swimmer’s Shampoo
- Roll-Ka Comb
- Magic Jumbo Rake Comb
- Hair Therapy Wrap (Heating Cap)
- Joico Moisture Recovery Conditioner for dry hair
My natural hair journey so far
Just in case you don’t follow me on social media and you missed the news,Read More
Wash day featuring Pureology hydrate shampoo – December 2nd, 2016
This wash day featured two new products: Pureology Hydrate shampoo (which I bought last month)Read More