Q: Please do you think coconut oil is OK as a hair moisturizer? Some blogs say yes. Some say no. I’m really confused.
A: I don’t think coconut oil is a moisturizer. Although, it is a very absorbent oil, it cannot replace a water-based moisturizer. When you hair is dry and needs moisture, you need to use a hair moisturizer that contains water. I think that Coconut oil is good for pre-shampoo oil treatment/pre-pooing, hot oil treatment after washing your hair or sealing your hair AFTER moisturizing.
On occasion, I do use oils on my hair without moisturizing first. However, I do this
- When my hair doesn’t feel dry or is not in need of moisture. I have noticed that when I apply oil to my hair that needs moisturizing, it tends to break more.
- Once a week as a pre-poo/Greenhouse thing.
- How I incorporate the ‘Greenhouse effect’ into my regimen
- Back to the basics: Prepooing
- Back to the basics: Moisturizing and sealing
- What is the best oil for hair?
- Suggestions for leave-in conditioners and hair moisturizers