How to shop for good ingredients for hair products
Hello everyone. I’m back from Paris and if you watched my last video, I mentioned that I bought a few conditioners and a relaxer! (I just relaxed my hair today by the way…more of that gist in another post tomorrow…).
So you might be wondering how to shop for hair products when you find yourself in a strange environment with products you have never seen or heard about before. Looking for good ingredients for hair products is easy when you know what to look for.
The following are some ingredients you should look out for in a good hair product:
- Oils/butters i.e grapeseed oil, safflower oil, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, argan oil,palm oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, tea tree oil, shea butter, mango butter etc.
- Vegetable glycerin
- Proteins i.e keratin, collagen, soy protein, milk protein, hydrolyzed wheat protein etc. (Be careful with protein-containing products because over-using them can cause breakage.)
- Moisturizing/fatty alcohols i.e Cetyl alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol, Lauryl alcohol, Myristyl alcohol, Stearyl alcohol, Behenyl alcohohol
- Cetrimonium chloride
- Behentrimonium methosulfate, Behentrimonium chloride (these give GOOD slip in hair products)
- Aloe vera
- Fruit extracts e.g goji berry, kiwi, etc
- Ceramides: Most of the time, it is written on the packaging. If it is not, look out for products containing 2-oleamido or 1-3 octadecanedio.
Ingredients to avoid if possible:
- Parabens (this might be difficult because so MANY products contain this!!)
- S-D alochol
- Mineral oil
- Isopropyl myristate
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
So, what products do you look out for when you are shopping for hair products?
FAQs Friday: Conditioners with protein in first 5 ingredients
If you have been following my posts, you should know by now how much IRead More
I just discovered that niacinamide can double as an anti-ageing AND lightening ingredient!
Hi people. Hope you had a great weekend? I want to tell you what IRead More