You can make your own cleansing conditioner
I have never really liked the way shampoos left my hair brittle and dry. My curiosity was piqued when KLP of Saving our Strands published a post called making your own co-cleanser. She described how you can make your own conditioner cleanser (or co-cleanser). Her recipe is one part shampoo: two parts oil: three parts conditioner.
I mixed my first co-cleanser using a ‘cheapie’ conditioner, a few squirts of shampoo and apple cider vinegar. My hair felt better than the way it did with shampoos but still not the way I wanted it to. I’ve kept tweaking it and cut out the apple cider vinegar cos’ I think I was adding a bit too much of that and my hair still felt a little brittle.
My latest mix is 5 oz of conditioner: 2 oz of water: a few squirts of shampoo. This mix is very creamy and lathers very very little but I don’t mind cos’ it leaves my hair feeling just right: cleansed and soft. I use this mix once a week when I wash my hair and plan to only use real shampoo on relaxer day.
*Update 30th October, 2016: I no longer make my cleansing conditioner regularly because I feel lazy to do the mixing. I simply use a sulfate-free shampoo to cleanse my hair.*
- Shampoo (or any other cleansing ‘agent’). I’ve only used shampoo and apple cider vinegar as the cleaning component of my co-cleanser but it might be possible to add other ayurvedic powders like rhassoul clay, shikakai, etc. I haven’t tried adding them yet but I think it’s possible.
- Conditioner. A good ‘cheapie’ conditioner should be suitable for this. E.g Suave naturals, VO5 conditioners, etc.
- Other additives e.g oils, aloe vera juice, etc. Tea tree oil is good to add if you have dandruff or an itchy scalp. I don’t add oils to my co-cleanser because I already mix my deep conditioner with lots of oil and I don’t want my hair to be too oily.
- As I am Coconut co-wash cleansing conditioner
- Eden Bodyworks All-Natural Coconut Shea Co-wash
- Wen Cucumber Aloe Cleasing Conditioner
- Shea moisture coconut & hibiscus co-wash conditioner
- Ouidad curl co-wash low-foam cleansing conditioner
- Carol’s daughter hair milk conditioning co-wash
- L’Oreal Paris EverCreme Sulfate-Free Moisture Cleansing Conditioner
- Devacurl no-poozero lather conditioning cleanser
- Mizani True Textures Cleansing Cream Conditioning Curl Wash
6 Tips for Rocking Bold, Brightly Colored Hair
Your hair is your crowning glory, so the popular expression goes. Indeed, the way youRead More
My natural hair journey so far
Just in case you don’t follow me on social media and you missed the news,Read More
You can make your own cleansing conditioner – Sizzling mommy
[…]salsa doesn’t matter as much so it can afford to have queso in it! and it can’t be me because I was at liposuction![…]