My 2015 regular wash day regimen
Hello lovely people. I hope you had a lovely weekend.
For a background information, this is a description of my hair:
- Relaxed hair. I leave my relaxer on for 15 – 20 minutes before rinsing it off. This time includes the application AND the smoothing time.
- High porosity. This means that my hair easily absorbs moisture but also loses it easily. If you have low porosity hair, it means that your hair doesn’t easily absorb moisture but when it does, it retains it longer.
- Fine hair strands. In simple terms, this means that the diameter of my hair strands is narrow.
- Low density hair. Hair density refers to the number of strands of hair found on your hair. It is usually genetically determined but reduction in hair density might also be the result of ageing, chemicals, etc.
I usually wash my hair once a week but if I am too busy, I can go two weeks between washes. If I am on a protective style, then I’ll wash my hair just before the style, keep it on for 3-4 weeks and wash my hair AFTER taking down the style.
Now, unto my regular weekly regimen.
On wash days, no matter what products I use, these are the steps I usually follow:
- Deep condition.
The products I use might not work for you..everyone’s hair reacts differently to products. The most important thing is following the 3 steps I mentioned above.
- Moisturize my hair with L’Oreal matiere & densite conditioner + Ouidad’s Salon Series OMEGA-3 Replenishing Hair Treatment. When my hair is dry, I seal with hempseed + coconut oil mix (shea butter or cocoa butter added sometimes). Apply Lavender Jamaican black castor oil to my scalp.
- Wear a shower cap. Go to bed.
- CLEANSE my hair using Kinky Curls Tiny Twirls Foam Shampoo or Shescentit Blueberry co-wash conditioner. In a few weeks, I intend to streamline my cleansers to one and if I do, I will keep you updated. I add a few drops of tea tree oil to the shampoo.
- Do a tea rinse (coffee, aloe vera juice and any other teas I have available).
- DEEP CONDITION for 30 minutes (with heat) using any of these 3 conditioners – Brown Butter Beauty Butter love conditioner, Pura Body Naturals Chocolate Smoothie or Mill Creek Botanicals Biotin Conditioner. In a few weeks, I intend to streamline my conditioners to one or two at the most and I will keep you updated. Rinse out the conditioner. 30 minutes to an hour is my ideal time to leave my deep conditioner but as a busy mom, my Saturdays are quite packed. I might sometimes wear a hat and go do some errands or household chores and not get to rinse out the conditioner for hours... I usually use heat by either sitting down under a dryer or wearing a steaming cap. Using heat increases the penetration of the conditioner.
- Apply Phytospecific Phytostim spray to my scalp. This helps reduce shedding.
- T-shirt dry or use my Turbie towel for at least 30 minutes. I prefer to do this for like 2 hours but it depends on the time I have available. By the time I take off the t-shirt, my hair is about 60 – 70% dry.
- Apply my leave-ins: Kurlee Belle thirsty kurls leave-in conditioner followed by Pura body naturals muru muru moisture milk. Detangle my hair with my wide-tooth comb and fingers.
- Seal in the moisture using argan oil.
- Dry and style: I either air dry, roller set OR do curls e.g (twists, braids, bantus etc)
- Air dry
- Put my hair in a bun. If I am going out, I usually just leave my hair in this bun.
- Leave my hair to dry naturally. Tie a scarf on the top of my hair with my ends also wrapped by the scarf. I think I will do a video to illustrate this.
- In the evening, moisturize my hair lightly with Hairveda Red Tea Satin moisturizer. Detangle. Apply Now Foods castor oil to my scalp.
- Put my hair in a low ponytail and tie a scarf on my hair.
- Curl former set (part of my goals for this year)
- Roller set
- Bantus, twists, etc
If I am going to be busy on Saturday or going for an event that will prevent me from doing my hair on Saturday, I just follow the 3 steps above but go to a salon on Friday: 1) Prepoo for a shorter time, 2) cleanse my hair at home, 3) apply a deep conditioner for 30 minutes max. Rinse it out. Towel dry, detangle and go to the salon for a roller set.
- Air dry
6 Tips for Rocking Bold, Brightly Colored Hair
Your hair is your crowning glory, so the popular expression goes. Indeed, the way youRead More
My natural hair journey so far
Just in case you don’t follow me on social media and you missed the news,Read More