I just discovered that niacinamide can double as an anti-ageing AND lightening ingredient!
Hi people. Hope you had a great weekend? I want to tell you what I found out by chance. If you have been following my posts regularly, you might remember when I was complaining that I had seen a fine line on my forehead. I did some research and found out anti-ageing ingredients to look for. When it comes to hair care, I am all about reading ingredients so icanow, I have extended it to my skin care products too.
Anyways, I started using Mad Hippie Vitamin C serum (which helps brighten skin AND slow down ageing) and my skin is a lot better and the line is barely visible…I did add in some other products but that will be another post for another day. I have also been using EFFACLAR DUO[+] Corrective unclogging care anti-imperfections, anti-marks cream for my acne and I gave one tube to my husband for his bumps. It has been working well for two of us. However, my husband started complaining that I was getting fairer and I attributed it to the Vitamin C serum so I now use it only once a week. He also started complaining that he was getting lighter..you know men don’t even want to hear the word ‘bleaching’. He has been seriously thinking about what could be causing it and finally settled on the Duo plus because that is the only thing that we both use.
To my greatest surprise, I discovered that one of the first five ingredients in the Duo plus cream is Niacinamide which I never in my life knew could lighten skin but after doing some online research, voila! Niacinamide does help improve spots which I guess can be translated as skin lightening! 🙂 😛
I actually think that the only reason niacinamide in the Effaclar duo plus made a difference is because it was in the first five ingredients. Please please don’t be deceived by all these manufacturers who will call their product vitamin A cream only to find out the vitamin A is the second to last ingredient!! That really annoys me….always look for your active ingredients in the first five or if you want to really stretch it, first ten! Nothing more.
Anyways, read the excerpt about niacinamide I copied from a website called Lotion Crafter:
– Niacinamide is the active form of Vitamin B3. A safe, nonirritating cosmeceutical ingredient which research shows can offer a number of benefits in improving the appearance of aged and photodamaged skin and improve skin moisturization.
While its precise mechanism of action is not clear, clinical studies have shown topical niacinamide to be effective in improving skin texture and the appearance of hyperpigmented spots, with improvement in red blotchiness and the reduction of the severity of fine lines.
– It has been shown to stimulate collagen synthesis and production of ceramide, a lipid compound that contributes to the functional and structural integrity of the skin barrier. Theoretically, by improving barrier integrity, niacinamide may help the skin become more resistant to external irritants.
– Topical use of niacinamide has been shown in clinical studies to effectively reduce the rate of sebum excretion and its casual serum levels.
Going forward, I have reduced the use of the Effaclar duo plus to thrice a week and my vitamin C serum to once a week.
These are a few more skin products I found that contain niacinamide:
- Aveeno Positively Radiant Intensive Night Cream
- Clearasil Ultra Acne & Marks Spot Lotion
- POND’S Clarant Anti-Dark Spots Moisturizer, Normal to Dry
- Olay Moisturizing Lotion for Sensitive Skin
- Olay Professional Pro-X Hydra Firming Cream
- Olay Professional Pro-X Deep Wrinkle Treatment
- Olay Age Defying Sensitive Skin Night Cream
- CoverGirl Simply Ageless Serum Primer, 100
- CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM, SPF 30
- CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM
- dermalogica Pure Night
- derma e Evenly Radiant Brightening Night Creme
- derma e Evenly Radiant Night Creme
- MyChelle Clear Skin Balancing Cream
- DDF Clarifying Hydrator
- DDF Restoring Night Serum
To view more products with niacinamide, please click HERE.
So, what products have you used and later found out that it was making you lighter?
Winter Beauty Tips
Winter is now only less than a mere three weeks away. With the season, comesRead More
Christmas Essentials to Put On Your Holiday Shopping List
You don’t have much time to shop for Christmas this year. No, we mean itRead More