DETAILED POST – My hair wash day – 6th August 2015 – deep conditioning day!
Hi people. Today, I want to break down my wash day step by step.
1. Wash day started about 6.30 pm.
2. I sprayed Phytotraxil hair spray on my scalp.
3. Divided hair in 4 sections
4. Detangled in these sections. I used my wide-tooth comb first starting from the ends and working my way upwards. I followed up with my medium-sized comb doing the same thing. I detangled again with my wide tooth comb to make sure my hair was well detangled. My hair was well moisturized prior to detangling. I had moisturized it in the morning.
5. Applied my deep conditioning mix to each section. [Pura Body Naturals chocolate hair smoothie, Brown Butter Beauty Babassu Cream Deep Conditioner, NJoy’s Long & Healthy Hair Growth Oil, Now Foods avocado oil, coconut oil and Jamaican black castor oil]. Covered my hair with 2 disposable shower caps.
6. Sat underneath my standing bonnet dryer for 15 minutes. Afterwards, covered the shower caps with a thicker conditioning cap (to conserve the heat) for an extra 1 hr 45 minutes while I finished up with the kids and dinner.
7. Got into the shower. Massaged my scalp like I was shampooing it. Gently rubbed hair downwards like I were rubbing in a shampoo. Hair was still in sections.
8. Rinsed it out with warm water, detangling under the stream of the shower. The deep conditioning mix gives me good slip and that’s why I can afford to do comb in the shower with minimal breakage. If the conditioner didn’t have slip, I wouldn’t try this! Very important to note this point! Using warm water helps to remove excess oils since I didn’t use shampoo. I detangled section by section with my wide tooth comb. When I was done gently detangling one section, I clipped it and went to the next section.
9. Did the rest of my usual showertime stuff and then did a final rinse with cool water. This helps to ‘close’ the hair cuticle and make the hair feel smooth.
10. Absorbed excess water from my hair with a t-shirt also using it to smooth the hair downwards. Sprayed Phytostim hair spray on my scalp.
11. Sprayed Belnuovo coco castor nectar leave-in conditioner all over my hair. Applied Tropic Isle Living Hair therapy oil to my scalp, massaging it in lightly and then gently smoothed hair downwards. I mentioned these products in my last product haul video/post.
13. Changed it for a dry one and went to bed. This was about midnight.
14. In the morning, took off the t-shirt. My hair was 95% dry & felt very soft and smooth. Although I didn’t feel any tangles, I still went ahead to thoroughly detangle my hair. I separated each section into smaller sub-sections and I detangled hair each sub-section with a wide tooth comb first. I didn’t apply any product because my hair was not really tangled. (Recall that I had detangled my hair before conditioning and again while rinsing out the conditioner in the shower). If it were tangled, I would have used a detangling leave-in conditioner or spray.
15. After using the wide tooth comb, I used my fingers to separate the smaller tangles that it couldn’t reach. Moisturized each subsection with Kurlee Belle thirsty kurls leave-in conditioner. Although the hair breakage I experienced was minimal, I’ll try a few things slightly different on my next wash day: I’ll moisturize my hair first before detangling to see if there is less breakage. Secondly, I’ll seal in the moisture with an oil or butter. I used to like argan oil but now, I’m not so sure anymore. 🙁
16. At the back section, I keep getting annoying tangles at the ends of my hair so I trimmed them a little.
18. Tied a scarf to smoothen the top of my hair and lay down the edges.
20. When I was ready to go out, I took off the scarf, pocket bonnet and clips then packed the banded hair together into a bun and that was the end of my wash day! I was quite happy with my hair!
P/S: I relaxed my hair last month but I haven’t gotten around to giving you an update. I promise that will be my next hair post. Other hair posts coming soon will be: my length check, my mid-week co-wash routine, another curl former set and a weekly hair diary.
Thanks for reading. How was your last wash day?
6 Tips for Rocking Bold, Brightly Colored Hair
Your hair is your crowning glory, so the popular expression goes. Indeed, the way youRead More
My natural hair journey so far
Just in case you don’t follow me on social media and you missed the news,Read More