10 discoveries I made on the journey to my current hair regimen
Hello dear people. How have you been? For the last few months, I have been making tweaks to my hair regimen and it’s currently based on the following discoveries I made about my hair:
- Sulfate-free shampoos are still the bomb . com. I do have 2 other sulfate shampoos in my stash which are not that drying but I’ll choose a sulfate-free shampoo any day.
- I have always hated shampooing my hair until I met my boo, Aveda Dry Remedy Moisturizing Shampoo. Since then, I simply shampoo my hair and step out of the shower.
- My hair doesn’t like rinse-out conditioners. Ever since I stopped using conditioners after washing my hair, it feels more airy and easy to comb through. My ends are no longer sticky like Velcro. I am thinking though maybe it’s the Aveda shampoo that hates being followed up with any conditioner. Or maybe it only works with its ‘partner conditioner’. I am thinking of purchasing the Aveda Dry Remedy Deep Conditioner to see if my hypothesis is correct.
- My hair also doesn’t like most co-washes. I will experiment with some over the next few months and give you feedback.
- Prolonged deep conditioning especially overnight deep conditioning killed my hair. Now, I condition my hair for not more than 30 minutes – 1 hour if I’m busy or the instructions say so.
- I don’t need henna. I have been using temporary/semi-permanent black rinses for my hair to keep the blackness vibrant.
- Protein products are best used prior to washing my hair. I do however love Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer (which is a mild protein-based moisturizer) for my twistouts. I am also going to experiment with another protein-based leave-in, Creme of Nature argan oil argan oil leave-in soon.
- My high porosity hair functions best without humectant leave-in products. In simple terms, I stay away from ALL leave-in products containing vegetable glycerin and its sisters. This includes Ecostyler gel. Have you ever wondered why after using Ecostyler gel, your hair became frizzy a few hours later? It probably means that you have high porosity hair and the vegetable glycerin in the gel is absorbing the water from the atmosphere.
- I still have a phobia for products which contain petrolatum and mineral oil. I could use them if they give me results. I think these days, I ‘m leaning a lot towards how a product makes my hair feel as against the ingredient list.
- I do however think silicones are not as bad as I thought they were. Although I use them as little as possible because of the risk of buildup, I still think they are okay. I also shampoo my hair regularly anyways so that helps keep buildup away.
I will continue sharing my weekly wash day routines so you can have an idea of what I do with my hair these days.
What discoveries have you made about your hair lately?
Follow me around:
Wash day featuring Pureology hydrate shampoo – December 2nd, 2016
This wash day featured two new products: Pureology Hydrate shampoo (which I bought last month)Read More
Hair update: Rollerset at the salon
Hi dear people. In my last hair update, I mentioned that I was going toRead More