Wash day – the day I shampooed thrice
Hi dearies. Happy Independence Day to all my fellow Nigerians!!!
This wash day (September 30th, 2016) was quite interesting. If you follow me on Instagram or twitter, you might have seen me mention that I had purchased the Macadamia Natural Oil Rejuvenating Shampoo and Deep Repair Masque. This is how it went down.
1. Prepoo: Aunt Jackie’s In-control conditioner + Africa’s Best Olive Oil and Clove Oil Therapy + Jamaican Black Castor Oil + Peppermint oil. I sat underneath my standing dryer for about 30 minutes with this in my hair.
2. Shampoo: I used the Macadamia Natural Oil Rejuvenating Shampoo and it left my hair feeling moisturized but a weeny bit coated. Although my hair didn’t feel stripped, I think that it wasn’t as moisturizing as my boo, Aveda Dry Remedy Moisturizing Shampoo.
3. Deep Condition: I applied the Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque and left it it on for 7 minutes (that’s what the instructions say). When I rinsed it off, my hair wasn’t feeling it at all.
4. Shampoo numero 2: I used my Aveda shampoo to erase the effects of the Macadamia Masque. My hair was feeling soft again. Winning!
5. Leave-ins: I applied Camille Rose Naturals Curlaide Butter. My hair was feeling a tiny bit hard and I was quite disappointed because the softness I had just experienced was undone again.
6. The discovery: I just had this feeling that there was an ingredient that my hair was reacting to. I scanned through my leave-in and deep conditioner collection. Eureka! I found out that most of them all had two similar ingredients: cetyl alcohol and cetearyl alcohol. I did another quick scan for any product which didn’t have these ingredients and the only one I could find was my SHU UEMURA Wonder Worker Blow Dry/Air Dry Perfector. I did later discover that I have one other product in my stash which does not contain these ingredients: ORS Replenishing Conditioner. I will not be using it as an after-shampoo conditioner because it contains proteins.
7. Shampoo numero 3: I shampooed with the Aveda shampoo again to get rid of the hard feeling my hair had. My hair was soft again.
8. Leave-ins numero 2: I sprayed the SHU UEMURA Wonder Worker on my hair. No hard feeling! My hair stayed soft! I covered my hair with a shower cap and did some exercise. Kinda like steaming my hair. When I took off the shower cap after an hour, my hair was crazily soft I was scared to even touch it! I applied some Lottabody Wrap Me Foaming Mousse with Coconut & Shea Oil to my hair to help set the style. Plus it doesn’t contain any cetyl or cetearyl alcohol.
9. Styling and Drying: I detangled my hair and installed some curlformers. Took them off after about 3 hours! Viola!
Side note: I think I am just going to accept that my hair just doesn’t like most after-shampoo conditioners. I have tried to fight this hypothesis. Next week’s wash day, I will be trying out the Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner which I discovered doesn’t contain cetyl or cetearyl alcohol. It has such mixed reviews! Keeping my fingers crossed.
What healthy hair rules do you break? I would love to read your comments.
Follow me around:
My natural hair journey so far
Just in case you don’t follow me on social media and you missed the news,Read More
Wash day featuring Pureology hydrate shampoo – December 2nd, 2016
This wash day featured two new products: Pureology Hydrate shampoo (which I bought last month)Read More