QI. How can you know if your hair needs moisture or protein?
You can do what is called a wet assessment.
- Wet a small section of hair and comb through or pull on both ends very gently.
- If it stretches while you comb through but doesn’t break, your hair is balanced.
- If it doesn’t stretch OR stretches only a little before your hair snaps, your hair needs moisture.
- If it stretches and stretches and then breaks, your hair needs protein.
QII. Hi there Dr. Fomsky. I noticed that you said as a suggestion to mix the castor oil with a conditioner from your blog post “How to use Jamaican black castor oil“. I use As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner and I am using olive oil for my deep oil treatments. When I incorporate the Castor oil into my regimen how much of the castor oil should I use in a mixture? I big chopped in May so right now I’m at TWA length. Thank you in advance.
The amount of castor oil I use depends on the consistency of the conditioner I’m using and whether or not I’m using other oils. For example, when I use Kenra moisturizing conditioner, I use about 3-4 teaspoons of oil and it still remains thick enough. If I’m mixing the castor oil with other oils, I use 1 teaspoon each of castor oil, olive oil, avocado oil and safflower oil.
On the other hand, if the consistency of the conditioner you’re using is light, you can use about 1 to 2 teaspoonfuls. For example, when I use Silk Elements Kera Minerals Deep Conditoner OR Kerapro Restorative Treatment for dry to very dry hair, I usually use that amount or none at all.
Also, since you have a TWA, you might not be using the same amount of conditioner I’m using so 1-2 teaspoonfuls might actually be enough.
QIII. What shampoos and conditioners contain Hydrolyzed wheat protein?
- WEN Cleansing Conditioner
- BLENDED BEAUTY Curl Cleansing Conditioner
- MIZANI Botanifying Conditioning Shampoo
Instant rinse-out conditioners
- SILK ELEMENTS Megasilk Olive Conditioner
- TRESEMME vitamin E moisture rich conditioner for dry or damaged hair
- AFFIRM Fiberguard 5 in1 Reconstructor
- AFFIRM Postive Link Conditioner
- KENRA Moisturizing Conditioner
- ABBA Color Protect Conditioner
- MISS KEYS 10 en 1 Super Plus Conditioner
- BLENDED BEAUTY Herbal Reconditioner
- BLENDED BEAUTY Curl Quenching Conditioner
- REDKEN All Soft Heavy Cream
- REDKEN Smooth Down Anti-Frizz Conditioner
- MIZANI Moisturefuse Moisturizing Conditioner
- ION Moisturizing Treatment
- GVP Leave in treatment
- SEBASTIAN Potion 9
- WAVE NOUVEAU Moisturizing Finishing Lotion
- TIGI Bed Head Superstar Volumizing Leave-In Conditioner
- TIGI Catwalk Curls Rock Leave-In Moisturizer –
- CAROL’S DAUGHTER Tui Moisturizing Leave-In Conditioner
- CAROL’S DAUGHTER Tui Leave-In Conditioner
- CHI keratin Mist
- GVP Thermal Protection Spray (contains SD-alcohol which might dry out your hair!)
Winter Beauty Tips
Winter is now only less than a mere three weeks away. With the season, comesRead More
Christmas Essentials to Put On Your Holiday Shopping List
You don’t have much time to shop for Christmas this year. No, we mean itRead More