Benzoyl peroxide cleared my skin! When I used to have a lot of acne, one of the products I used then was Mary Kay Acne Treatment Gel . It is a 5 % strength formulation. I stopped using it a while ago and I haven’t had much need for it because my face has been relatively clear. Last week, I felt some acne bumps on my face and I decided to revisit this gel. I was pleasantly surprised that by the following morning, my acne had dried up.
Benzoyl peroxide as an acne treatment:
- Acts as an antimicrobial agent especially against the bacteria responsible for acne (Propionium bacterium);
- Increases cellular turnover and clears pores.
It usually comes in three strengths: 2.5 %, 5 % and 10 %
- It can dry out your skin. Start with 2.5 % and gradually progress to 10 % if your skin tolerates it. In addition,use a light moisturizer in conjunction with benzoyl peroxide.
- Causes skin irritation. Benzoyl peroxide can cause burning, peeling, itching, swelling skin reactions. If you have sensitive skin, it is best to avoid it. Or you can apply it to a small part of your face and see how your skin reacts.
- It can cause photosensitivity and is not suitable for use when you are going into the sun. Use it at night instead. In addition, ensure that you use a sunscreen with at least SPF15 when you do go out in the sun.
- It stains pillow cases, clothes and even hair!
*Do not apply benzoyl peroxide over another another acne treatment. It can worsen the effects of drying and irritation.*
Have you used any benzoyl peroxide formulation and it worked for you? Or it was just terrible?